Sunday 11 May 2008

In the beginning

Well...a very long time ago, the beginning of the 3rd Millenium, or was it the end of the second?
In the year 2000, the Embroiderers' Guild had a theme 'Fashioned by Stitch'.
This was my entry for the North West regional day on the same theme. Its called 'The First Fashion Statement' .
Adam and Eve wore fig leaves when they had sinned by eating the apple, Eve having been tempted by the Devil in the form of a serpent.
A photocopy of the text was 'aged' with tea and stitched under chiffon. I made fig-leaves from painted and waxed paper, wired to give them shape. I don't know if fig trees have tendrils but I couldn't resist making some.
And there's the evidence. The apple with a bite out, and the serpent.
The judges liked it and I won 'The Rose Bowl', first prize.
Forgive me for dwelling on past glories.
I'm working for a craft fair and I've shown enough piles of silk paper for a while.

8 comments:

Mrs Jelly said...

Thanks for dropping in on my blog. I love your work, so creative and delicate looking.

Terri Stegmiller said...

This piece is great! Love all the detail in the leaves.

Victoria said...

Congratulations! It deserved to win!

liz said...

Wow! which is all I can say about all your things:)
Thanks for your comments about the tiny doll, I have hemostats, but it's just tricky I think with such small pieces.

Lorie McCown said...

This is so beautiful. Great work.

gunnelsvensson said...

wow! This piece is really really great! Love it!

Ann Christine Dennison said...

Very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

!That is excellent!!!!!!!
I love it!
Good luck with your show!



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.