Friday 10 July 2009

Doh!

While some of the bloggers I secretly subscribe to are prancing about talking about 'yummy' this
and 'scrumptious' that and delighting in their own creations, I am on a bit of a downer at the moment.

Stupid mistake number one:
I was excited when I made these and displayed them on little tiny box canvas frames.



But then I had to go and spoil it all.
I wanted to submit them to an exhibition and when I read that they had to be mirror plated I decided I couldn't mirror plate a dozen little frames.

(This, by the way, is a mirror plate.

I had to put that in for all those who asked.)



They looked great all together but guess what?
I forgot to take a picture.
I tried them behind glass in an Ikea frame.
It didn't look right.
I tried them all together on one canvas box frame but that didn't look right.
I made a special piece of felt to attach them to.
It started to look better ..
But by the time I'd tried to attach them with bondaweb, then the embellisher, then handstitch, then finally machining , they were so mangled they lost all their impact and the whole piece, (which I am too embarrassed to show you) now looks like a beach towel.
Here's a bit of it.


I'll let you know when I get the rejection letter.

Next stupid mistake:
I sold my Gaydon Cake stand for £1.99 plus postage.
NOT ENOUGH POSTAGE!!! I forgot how heavy it was.
Still, I suppose my main reason was to clear out and if someone can love it, thats better than throwing it in the bin.

Oh I almost forgot..
Stupid mistake number three:
I have withdrawn my word brooches from my etsy shop after I realised(with a little help from my lovely friend Kitty) that you cannot sell and item which is to be displayed on the buyers chest with the word 'FELT' on it.

On the upside, I have had a commission from a lovely Gallery in a lovely place in Cheshire for 30 felt brooches, not sale or return either.
(They want some photographs for their ad in a very upmarket magazine. Sssshh...I said shssshhh!!!)
(EDIT: Thanks for all the comments but Oh dear..pride goes before a fall and I bet I've completely jeopardised it now.
It was just a whisper and its not MY ad its the Gallery Ad and they might not even put my work in it. So try not to mention it)


PS I forgot to say I am having a little stall in Knowle Green Village Hall near Longridge on Saturday and Sunday. They are having an open garden weekend and people who use the hall are having a couple of stalls. I am there as part of the Felt Group. Now officially the 'Fellside Felters.'

30 comments:

Grangry said...

You're going to be in an ad in Selvege? That makes up for all the rest! Anyway, I bet you are the only one that doesn't like the beach towel and when you get it back, absence will have made the heart grow fonder and you will see at once a really great way to use it!

menopausalmusing said...

Oh, Jackie......... :O(
I don' know what mirror plating is.... :O(
BUT! An ad in Selvedge! :O)))))
Wow! x

Heather said...

Can you save your lovely shapes by cutting them from the background fabric, or are they too far gone? Best of luck at the weekend and well done with the commission for the brooches. Selvege advert eh?! We are impressed.

Dolores said...

You never know. You may not end up being rejected. So, I guess life has its ups and downs.

Nicki said...

Ha! so glad I'm not the only person who underestimates the postage on ebay (and swapbot too!!)

Yup....not sure about the background in the tiny snippet you showed us, but i bet you can salvage something....what a pain though!!

And I'm DEEPLY impressed with an ad in selvedge....cool!!

nicki x

Genie said...

Life sure is full of ups and downs.
congrats on the ad and on the brooches.
have a good weekend

Art4Sol said...

I think you've had enough "downs" for awhile and are on the upward swing now. Congrats on the good news...sounds very promising.

Julia said...

You are being too hard on yourself Jackie! The detail looks good - maybe its just not measuring up to how you imagined it turning out.
I am SO impressed with the order from the gallery...and of course an add in Selvedge is something to shout about.Well done you!

hens teeth said...

Pants!

Whitney-Anne Baker said...

what the heck is mirror plating?

An ad in selvedge - how cool is that! More than makes up for any mishaps and they happen to EVERYBODY.

lilylovekin said...

Did I miss something? An ad in Selvege? That makes up for everything. Go easy on yourself.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm from the dark ages and have never heard of Selvedge...obviously it's a biggie, so congratulations!! As for the beach towel? It's a learning curve and besides I'd be more than willing to bet that it's the best looking, most creative beach towel ever created!!

Gretel said...

An ad in Selvedge is somewhat of a Jackpot! Kudos.

Swirlyarts said...

Fabulous about the gallery and about the ad - shhhhhh!

Jude said...

Mirror plating??
Selvedge..yeah!!
Come on...
Your work is wonderful,
come to Crete with your beach towel......

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Congrats on the commission and you have my sympathy re the cake stand (so easily done) and your lovely individual felts turning into a beach towel, but the felt word brooch? I think that's fine and would definitely wear one - if it said 'feel' then no, but 'felt' is harmless. Have a lovely weekend Jackie. Lesley

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

I must be too old as I don't know Selvedge, but congrats seem to be in order.
I'm sure everything will turn out well - by the way, no! no!
don't ask someone who never does her own ironing (except one piece at a time when I need something to wear)to sort yours! LOL
Connie.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Great news Jackie and much deserved.
I'm sure you will do well with your exhibition.xx

A time to dance said...

I am trying very very very hard not to make a smutty comment about mistake number three....when I make mistakes with my work my friend at work tells me of the silk rug maker who always put one mistake in to remind themselves that only God is perfect...think on..from one who spends her life making boobs!!!! hah ha got one in....

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

Sorry about the beach towel - what is mirror plating?

Congratulations on the ad and the commission though - that's terrific!

Have a great weekend!

Jo Hopwood said...

Hey, send your revolting beach towel my way, I am sure I can salvage something glorious from it :-)

Mrs Jelly said...

You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs ...
We have to make mistakes along the way to learn from them!
Anyway, must go - I'm supposed to be cooking tea and someone's bound to notice I'm not actually doing it ....

arlee said...

:) "Felt" could be for those of us who are already "attached" :)--you could do "Feel" for the singles ! LOL

Victoria said...

I feel a bit stupid... not sure what you mean by "mirror plating" and why can't someone where the word "felt" on their chest? I mean I can see why you wouldn't want the word "feel", (as in "feel free to feel here") but what is wrong with felt? I feel like the kid on the playground who doesn't know what all the other kids know. Please enlighten me!

Your unintended "beach towel" looks fine from the little snippet you show, and congrats on your work being in an ad for Selvedge! (Even if it is an ad for the gallery,,, just seeing your work among those glorious pages... heart thumper thrill!)

Julie said...

I'm betting you don't get rejected! Enjoy your weekend with the Fellside Felters. I had to laugh at the "Felt" - I should be so lucky ;-)

lisa_crofts said...

Sounds like the ups outweigh the downs. Can you use the "beach towel" as a bed throw or blankey for the lounge/couch.

lisette said...

oh poor you - i hate it when things seem to snowball.

and you may think less of me for this but i would wear a brooch with 'felt' written on it, if only for the wishful thinking....

Jude said...

Thank you, re, mirror plate. Makes sense now........

ArtPropelled said...

Jackie, I'm one of the yummies on a high at the moment but it's all part of the cycle ...up on the peaks and then down in the valley again. The problem is we have such high expectations that when something doesn't turn out exactly as we hoped we are far too hard on ourselves. A rest from whatever is bugging us can change our perceptions at a later date. Now I know you said lets forget about it in your latest post....but how could I resist popping over to see what you were talkig about.....and now congrats are in order when your photo is used in the ad.

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

I'm sorry but I just laughed so much at mistake No.3
I never even thought of that hahahaha



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.