Friday 24 July 2009

One man's meat...


Nothing much to report(but has that ever stopped me before?) except that I have had one of my Marrakech felt pieces accepted for The West Lancs Open Exhibition at The Chapel Gallery in Ormskirk. (This is for JP. I can't reply to you any other way. Its on Now. I went on Friday to the preview..mine is in the bit leading to the toilets!!! Some kind of judgement I suppose)

I have also done my annual accounts and sorted through the pile of slithery books pamphlets cards and papers on my sewing room table, so I feel a load off

It made me think of another open exhibition I submitted for about 12 years ago.
Do you want to hear about it?
Are you sitting comfortably?

Then I'll begin.

I was new from City and Guilds and had had a year or two doing my own things.
I had two pieces I wanted to submit to an open exhibition. A Celtic panel and Three little purses based on Tropical fish.(They look a bit like This, I don't know why I didn't submit these instead)
Yes, three purses, so I had to find a way to combine them to make them into one piece.

I looked into having a perspex box made but it was fiendishly expensive .
Then I had a brainwave...they were based on fish, so if I had a piece of driftwood it would enhance the sea connection.
Now, the seaside near me is not the kind of place you would be likely to find driftwood.
Blackpool, Southport, no pebbles or driftwood so we went a bit further afield and drove to Sunderland Point,(Do click that link, there's a lovely set of photos there) near Lancaster, where you have to cross a causeway at low tide, and there's a wild pebbly beach full of all sorts of junk.

We strolled along looking for the perfect piece of driftwood, collecting a LOT to choose from.
My husband even picked up the back end of a boat and was going to use it to make a sign for his studio. Not exactly appropriate in a moorland mill village.
As we got back to the car a local resident looked at our bundle and said 'We'll have to start buying coal if you keep coming '

Once home I selected the perfect piece..a block with three rusty bent nails, around which I entangled the purse cords so that they looked like flotsam (or jetsam?) and duly submitted my purses and my Celtic panel for the exhibition.

Time passed
My letter arrived...one piece accepted, one rejected.
'Oh well ' I thought, 'that Celtic piece was perhaps a bit traditional.....but I knew they'd like those bags.'
I went to collect the rejected piece.

Shock Horror!
They rejected the purses but wanted the Celtic panel.
I expressed my surprise at the choice.
She asked what it was I'd had rejected.
I said 'Three little purses like fish.'
'OH!' she said, 'We loved those bags........







......we just didn't like that driftwood they were attached to'.

18 comments:

Beena said...

What I am wondering is that when you got the piece back, if you still kept it on the driftwood anyway....

Cat said...

That's was so funny. After all your hard work to get the driftwood! Did your husband make the sign? It's probably good we aren't near the ocean or I'd have stuff everywhere! Last time we went, I picked up loads of shells and driftwood and painted all of it with lighthouses for Christmas gifts. Seems like we Americans love our lighthouses on everything.
Thank you for your encouraging email. I really appreciated it and it helped.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Best not to think about it. You'll run yourself nuts.

I love the new look here!!! Especially your lovely photo!! Well done!

ArtPropelled said...

I love your felt piece....and I love a good story too. You would probably find that in a different town at a different exhibition your work with the driftwood would be accepted.

Heather said...

I'd have felt like hitting her with the driftwood! Well done on having the other piece accepted and the more recent one.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Congratulations on having your felt work chosen.x

silverpebble said...

Many congratulations on having your Marrakech piece accepted AND on your TWO etsy front pages. Look at you all fancy!!!

Helen Smith said...

There's no accounting for taste is there - I love driftwood (but you probably knew that!)

I like the new look :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sorry to confess that I laughed at this story. I feel badly that I did, really I do. Some people just don't appreciate art do they.

Pam said...

Well! We know where their taste is don't we!!! :))
and I agree with ArtPropelled.....in another place it would probably have been perfect and accepted.

Robin Mac said...

Oh Jackie, there is no accounting for tastes. I agree with ArtPropelled, someeone else would probably accepted it. I love the celtic piece on your flickr site, and I love the new look too. Must confess I laughed at your story. Cheers, Robin

Victoria said...

Congratulations Jackie on getting into the show, wonderful news. Also, sending you warm and happy belated birthday wishes.
xo V

hens teeth said...

Typical!

jeanette, mistress of longears said...

Sometimes you can't win for losing...LOL! ALL lovely work and I don't know how people choose!

Jacky said...

I love the sound of the driftwood with the rusty nails (maybe you were just ahead of your time!).

Love your felted piece...very dramatic.

Jacky xox

Digitalgran said...

There must be a lesson somewhere there Jackie :)) Can't think what though.

JP said...

love your felt piece - we will have to go and see it in the exhibition - when is it on?

ArtSparker said...

The devil's in the details, they say.



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.