Monday 20 July 2009

Sunday.

I know this is supposed to be a sewing blog so I'll start with a bit of sewing related news. One of my Marrakech felt pieces has been accepted for an open exhibition. More in a later post.

I have been to the teabag paper mines and am now in possession of a sore back and enough plain teabag paper to last me, you, and probably all out neighbours for the rest of our lives.
Its available in both my Folksy and Etsy shops. If you look and its gone, I will relist over and over again..
Its very versatile and is now in packs of 10 x 60 inch long, foot wide strips, so even more versatile.
Free P&P to UK buyers.
Lovely stuff.

Now I must tell you about my Birthday.
On Friday and Saturday I worked hard to get a clean tidy house, and all ironing DONE!

Lovely presents from friends and family, surprises in the post, but my boys have heard neither of the Royal Mail nor the early morning, so I am supposed to be getting a visit today.

We planned to go on an Ullswater Steamer, but steam was what appeared to be over the moors when I looked out of the bedroom window yesterday morning..and torrential rain.
Besides that I was convinced I had swine flu...runny nose...sneezing..feeling a bit poorly, but with hindsight I can put that down to dusting as an extreme sport the previous day, and a 'night off' from the diet on Saturday night.
After mulling it over we decided to go out anyway and set off at the crack of 1.30pm ..and where do you think we were?
Look at these trees and that sky...


It looks positively tropical,
but there were clues here to other weather conditions; look closely at the blackboard...

I think those ponchoes are plastic.....rain forest?


Is this a monkey? No ..its a Herdwick lamb.



This isn't the rain forest, nor even Ullswater..its Keswick,


Beautiful Derwentwater,

Don't those clouds remind you of the Fellpainter?

Here's the view from Friars Crag


If we'd known the weather was going to be as good as this we would have set out earlier and done the steamer thing.


But instead we had a very late lunch here, in the two chairs on the right of the picture, and (I'm so sorry and so guilty in the presence of vegetarians ) the most exquisite lamb I have ever tasted




with a view to make you gasp.


But it seemed a bit insensitive..eating with the bleating.


Please forgive me dear lambs.
We drove home via Ullswater, Glenriddings and over the spectacular Kirkstone Pass, had a late evening snack at The Queens head, Troutbeck and arrived home about 10.30 pm.

I've had another lovely birthday, but so totally different from last years.

By the way what do you think of the blog makeover?

33 comments:

Robin Mac said...

Oh Jackie, what a lovely birthday you had, and what beautiful photos you have to remember it by. Hope your boys came by to add their birthday wishes! cheers, Robin

hens teeth said...

Aw, so pleased to read you had such a lovely day! Happy birthday my lovely.
Beautiful photographs, stunning scenery.
I think your new blog layout is a treat.

Dolores said...

Blog makeover is very nice. Glad the birthday celebrations were rain-free. The scenery was heavenly and so peaceful. I wish I could have gone with you.

menopausalmusing said...

That's a very stylish makeover! Glad you got the weather (more than we did!!). Happy Birthday x

connie said...

Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!!! I loved the photos of your birthday trip.

The blog makeover is nice. Kind of caught me by surprise but I like it.

Linda Vincent said...

**Happy*Birthday**
Looks like you had a wonderful day Jackie; the photos are absolutely beautiful.
The new blog layout and header look great....its good to have a change!

Karen said...

happy belated birthday! I love Ullswater, absolutely beautiful and the blog make over....not sure, it confused me (mind you that's not difficult!)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Love the alternative to the 'swine flue' diagnosis. Thanks for the lovely pics, isn't the Lake District beautiful.

The new blog design was a shock, and I immediately checked that you hadn't gone over to 'typepad' or 'wordpress'. Will probably get used to it. BFN. Lesley

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Me again - 'swine flu' of course, where did that e come from?

ArtPropelled said...

Really love your header!
Glad you had a lovely birthday, Jackie.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Belated happy happy birthday wishes! It looks as though you had a wonderful one...the photos are spectacular.
Like your new blog look too!

Digitalgran said...

Belated birthday greetings, what a great day you had. Lovely photos.
The blog looks good.

Guzzisue said...

happy belated birthday :-) looks like you caught the sun between the cloudbursts.

Jenny said...

Guess what, we share the same birthday!
Hope you had a happy one,I did.

Anonymous said...

Lovely dusting and ironing of the blog-and glad to hear you a lovely birthday.

Dinky Daisy said...

Happy Birthday, just discovered your blog so I don't now what it looked like before but have enjoyed reading your posts and am in awe of your work. here's my little blog we share a fondness for daisies I think.
dinky-daisy.blogspot.com

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Love the tree picture.
Blog looks great!

Sharne Gregory said...

Happy Birthday! what lovely photo's. So glad that you had a good day.

Pam said...

Sounds like a fab way to spend your birthday Jackie. Happy one btw.
Love your logo/header. Blog looks good. But now I'm thinking......what did the old one look like!! Totally can't remember. lol.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, you did have the best birthday, didn't you? I know the Queen's Head and adore Troutbeck in general. And Derwentwater is pure heaven. Here's wishing you many, many more lovely sun-filled birthdays!!

lilylovekin said...

Happy belated birthday. Since it was your birthday I'll forgive you for the lamb.

Clare Wassermann said...

What a lovely birthday. Britain is certainly amazing. Whilst you were having your birthday my husband was having his and we went away to the Cotswolds - heaven xx

jeanette, mistress of longears said...

Belated happy birthday! What is it about sons and cards? I 've heard from mothers of girls that they can always count on a card for every occasion :-)

jennyflowerblue said...

Cool new blog look, and I love your picture! Glad you had a smashing day, don't feel bad about the dear little fluffy lambs- they are too yummy not to be nibbled!!

Jude said...

Belated birthday wishes... looks like you had a wonderful day, bah bah bleet bleet!! (lanb lunch) Make over is very nice and lovely to see you face.

Heather said...

The blog makeover is excellent and belated Happy Birthday. Glad you had such a lovely day and found some sunshine. The photos are so beautiful and show the scenery in all it's glory.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie
Happy Birthday to you happy birthday to you happy birthday dear Jackie happy birthday to you!
Looks like you had a perfect birthday ,Stunning photos .
Love the new look blog too .
Love from Sesga xx

Jacky said...

Happy (belated) birthday and thank you for sharing it with us. Looks like you had a lovely day. Gorgeous weather and sounds like yummy food (I like lamb too).
I have just received my copy of Quilting Arts and read your fantastic article, just loved it! Congratulations on being published!

Jacky xox

WendyCarole said...

Happy belated Birthday. Glad you had such a lovely time. We went to Derwentwater a couple of years ago; and have been to Ullswater.

We came down the Kirkstone Pass by bus it was the best thing ever.

So pleased your dust sneezing etc wasn't swine flu DD has it and she feels dreadful;

We felt awful eating chicken on one holiday having chatted to a flock of hens on the walk half an hour before, Only eat meat on holidays forgo it the rest of the year

Swirlyarts said...

Happy birthday - sorry I'm a bit late :)

Chris Daly said...

Happy birthday Jackie. It looks like you had a wonderful day despite the change in plans. I love your new layout. It really shows off your photos on your side bar nicely.

Unknown said...

very belated happy birthday, Jackie, I felt a little homesick looking at your lovely Cumbrian photos - glad you had such a lovely day

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

Hi Jackie! Happy Birthday - what a lovely day you had!



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.